LESSON 08 – MULTI-DIMENSIONAL COLLAGE

In this lesson, we are experimenting with 3-D elements and textures.

The elements will be heavier, bulkier, in general, so the use of a more substantial glue will be paramount.

08 MULTIDIMENSIONAL COLLAGE
Click on the image to be directed to the video

For this kind of project, you can really go over the top and splash out on 3-D elements from numerous scrapbooking and crafts brands, or keep it cheap (as I have done) and still efficient. Chipboard, wood and metal elements can give amazing results, so, if you can afford them, just splash out and enjoy! If your budget, however, is more limited – like mine – DIY stores can offer cheaper options if you want to use metal elements.

SUPPLIES USED

  • Mod Podge Matte
  • a collage brush
  • “blotting paper” (disposable tissues I used for blotting paint, as well as plain ones – I separate the layers, first, to have more collage material, and also to create a less bulky texture when collaging; you can always layer up if you want more bulk)
  • music sheet
  • Decopatch patterned collage sheet (I used the pieces on the reverse as the colours were too bright for me on the face)
  • Baker’s twine
  • heat tool
  • craft paints (Artiste in Lush Pink, Blanc (white) and Avocado)
  • palette knife
  • sequin waste
  • cheap black ink pad
  • Aileen’s Tacky glue
  • Fabric and pearl flower element (part of a ribbon of flowers, got a yard for less than £2 last year)
  • ribbon pieces
  • cardboard pieces
  • white gesso
  • black Posca paint pen
  • craft scissors
  • Decopatch Glitter glue

PROCESS

Using Mod Podge, I started by collaging torn pieces of papers and tissue layers (“blotting paper”) on my page, to start creating texture.
I glued a piece of baker’s twine across my page in a swirly placement so that not only it would create some 3-D texture, but also would work as an element to guide the viewers throughout the page once the project will be completed. I applied a generous amount for Mod Podge to ensure it adhered securely.

I added some more plain layers of disposable tissue to create even more texture. The layers are so fragile that it is rarely possible to adhere them flat. There will always be some wrinkling involved, and that is what I am looking for. I rather use disposable tissues rather than texturing paste to create texture as, first, it is a lot cheaper and more accessible, and it is also a lot quicker to dry, and, added bonus, gives a totally random and impossible to control effect.

My next step was to add colour to my page to unify it and bring all collage elements together. I am using a generous amount of pink paint to apply with a palette knife. The thickness of the layers I’m applying is giving added texture to my project, and the fact that the paint is being applied with a palette knife gives a very unruly and grungy effect. The palette knife also gives a variety of thicknesses as, while dragging the paint, the layer will become thinner where it has been dragged. I loosely added white, ensuring my colours did not blend too much together, in a very similar fashion to the way I applied the pink paint.
When adding the green paint, I used only small amounts as I wanted the colour to be an accent on my project. Similarly I dragged the thin layer of paint across certain sections of my page, to ensure that the green paint offered the same effect as the pink and white layers did. I literally cleaned the green paint off my palette knife onto my page, which gives very nice and subtle marks.

Using sequin waste and a black ink pad (it came with a set of stamps I bought from the Paperchase shop in Cardiff), I am creating contrast on certain sections of my project,

I started drying the paint layers with a heat tool, but, as some of the paint layers were quite thick, I had to wait an hour or so to let them dry naturally and then finish them off with my heat tool.

Once all my layers were fully dry, I applied my fabric flower embellishment using Aileen’s Tacky glue. This is a great glue to apply bulky elements. I placed it on my baker’s twine so that the twine works as a stem for the flower. I added 2 pieces of the same ribbon above and under my flower, ensuring that I adhered them underneath the flower element to give the illusion that the ribbon runs underneath the flower from top to bottom.

Next, I started creating my elements for my journaling word. Using a piece of packaging cardboard, I gessoed a small part, dried it and cut it as a rectangle. I wrote my journaling word on top using a paint pen and dried the writing. I tore another piece of my cardboard left, ensuring it was rectangular shape and bigger than my word element. I tore it quite loosely to give a nice grungy feel to my element.
I applied a generous amount of Mod Podge on my page where I wanted to place my bigger cardboard piece, as well as behind it to give it stronger adherence. I then covered it with a generous amount of glitter glue, applied my word element on top, pressing it to secure it, and covered the whole lot with another generous amount of glitter glue. I applied the remaining glue on my brush on various parts of my project to unify the whole piece.

I attempted to dry the layers of glue using a heat tool, but decided, eventually, to let it dry naturally, as the layers were too thick and the heat tool would have burnt the glue from too much heat exposure. It took all night for the project to be fully dry, but well worth it, I think.

Advertisements